Portsmouth City Council has a duty of care for anyone who is being looked after by them, so we felt it would be important to produce a written document stating our responsibilities and giving detail on what we do. Please see the pledge below:
PLEDGE 1 – WE PROMISE TO SUPPORT YOU WHEN YOU ARE COMING INTO CARE BY:
- Always trying to find you the best possible place to live
- Helping you understand what is happening and why
- Making sure you can still go to the same school, clubs and activities whenever possible
- Listening to you and making sure you have your say
- Making sure you have any support you need
PLEDGE 2 – WE PROMISE TO DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO KEEP YOU SAFE AND HAPPY WHILE LIVING IN CARE BY:
- Making sure you have somewhere safe to live
- Making sure you always have a consistent adult in your life
- Supporting you through any changes in your life
- Making sure you have someone to talk to who will listen and respond to you
- Respecting and supporting you as an individual
- Making sure that all your health needs are being meet
- Work and listen to all agencies that are working with you
PLEDGE 3 – WE PROMISE TO SUPPORT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH FRIENDS & FAMILY AS MUCH AS WE CAN BY:
- Listening to who is important to you and helping you stay in touch with them
- If there is anyone you won’t be able to see anymore, we will help you to understand why, and to say goodbye
- Supporting you to make new friends
- Providing opportunities for you to enjoy spending time with your family
- Supporting you in having your say when you don’t want contact
PLEDGE 4 – WE PROMISE TO HELP YOU ENJOY AND ACHIEVE IN YOUR EDUCATION BY:
- Making sure all the adults in your life understand how important your education is
- Making sure you have the support you need to do as well as you can
- Making sure you can go to the best school, college, or university for you
- Listening to your views on your education and responding
- Making sure you have no unnecessary gaps in your education
- Helping you join in any school clubs or activities that you are interested in
- Encouraging you to try new hobbies and experiences
- Listening to the things you want to achieve in life and helping you to get there
PLEDGE 5 – WE PROMISE TO HELP YOU PREPARE FOR ADULT LIFE BY:
- Making sure the people caring for you teach you important skills for life
- Trying to make sure young people can stay where they are living until they are at least 18
- Making sure you always know who to go to for help, advice and support
- Making sure you have a named social worker to listen to you and offer support until you are at least 21
- Supporting you to get a job, enter training, or go to university
PLEDGE 6 – WE PROMISE TO LISTEN AND SUPPORT YOUR RIGHTS IN HAVING YOUR VIEW HEARD BY:
- Everyone will have a named Independent Reviewing Officer
- Everyone can have access to an advocacy service if they have any issues to raise
- Arrangements will be put in place for your Children in Care Council represent your views and make service improvements
- An independent complaint, comments and compliments service will be available
PLEDGE 7: WE PROMISE WE WILL SUPPORT YOU TO BE HEALTHY BY
- Making sure that when you first come into care a high quality health check-up is delivered by a senior Doctor
- Providing you with a full health plan.
- Providing a health check-up every year by a nurse or doctor and also supporting you in an annual dentist check up.
- Making sure that your Health appointments are accessible.
- Giving you the skills to access health services and information yourself.
- When you leave care at 18 you will be given all of your health history and the ability to access this information through an app.
- Support and guide you in your physical and emotional health and wellbeing.
- Making sure that you are provided with healthy and nutritional food and drink, and also have the opportunity to take part in physical activities whilst you are in our care.